Sunday, September 26, 2010

An Introduction

Welcome to my new home on the web . This will be a place to share my research into the history, culture, and genealogy of Southern Italy. It will be comprised of links, essays, book reviews, genealogical information, and opinion, also incorporating information from a former website of a similar name.
Most people are not concerned about their roots and past history but it is a part of them whether they are aware of it or not. I am posting this information for all those with an interest or a passion for this topic. I am also gathering this information for the "next generation" because it is worth preserving for them.
Comments, constructive criticism, and additional information are always welcome.

WHY SOUTHERN ITALY?
The regions of Puglia and Campania, located in the southern half of the peninsula known as Italy,are where most Italian Americans and also my ancestors originated from. Before it's annexation by northern Italy it was an independent country known as the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies.

Ruled by the Royal House of Bourbon, from the city of Naples ,this kingdom was also comprised of the island of Sicily, and the regions of Calabria, Basilicata, Abruzzi, and Molise. Separated by mountain and sea barriers differences in custom and dialect developed which made this area distinct from the north. Indeed ,these barriers also created distinctions from region to region. The differences between the southern half of the peninsula and the northern half are now making themselves more prominent due to separatist movements in the north and now in the south. In time culturally and politically independent states will reemerge in a federated Europe.

TWO SICILIES ?...DUE SICILIE ?

The name Two Sicilies or Due Sicilie in Italian, was the name of Southern Italy south of Rome before it was annexed by the Kingdom of Italy in 1860. With the city of Naples as its capital, it was considered the richest and most industrialized of all of the Italian states.
The name Two Sicilies came about during the reign of the French Angevin crown. The uprising known as the Sicilian Vespers removed the Angevins who were replaced by the Argonese crown. The Angevins still maintained control of the crown on mainland Southern Italy. The Angevins referred to their dominion as the Two Sicilies as a way of not surrendering their claim on the island of Sicily. The Bourbons joined Sicily and mainland Southern Italy in 1816 and their kingdom again became officially known as the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies

2 comments:

  1. I am beginning an ancestry search to discover my roots. My mother's family came to the U.S. from Palo del Colle just before WW1. The family name was Gaeta or Gaeto. My grandfater's name was John and I believe my grandmother was Sabina. My grandfather came to New York first to earn money for the rest of his family to follow him. My mother was born in 1914 in Brooklyn. However she had older siblings who were born in Palo del Colle. Her Italian born brothers in sisters were Marianna, Frank, Louie, Mary and Angie. I hope to visit the area in the fall and would love to learn more about my heritage. Anything you could send me to begin my search would be very much appreciated.

    Thank You

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would recommend gathering as much information that you know about your relatives. The next step is to get this handbook which can walk you clearly through all the information you would need. They translate the Italian birth, death, and marriage records. https://www.amazon.com/Genealogists-Guide-Discovering-Italian-Ancestors/dp/1558706933/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1547498969&sr=8-3&keywords=italian+genealogy+books

      The next step is to find the nearest Latter Day Saints Church (Mormons) They have microfilmed all of the records from Palo del Colle as well as most other towns. You can order the microfilms to search records at their genealogy rooms.
      It takes time and work but is worth it.
      I don’t have any records other than my own families so I can’t help you there.
      It isn’t that hard with that book I linked. You can hire people to do this research. It is probably expensive.
      I don’t know of any researchers offhand.
      Good Luck.

      Delete